Born: 14 September, 1941 in Zurich, Switzerland
Marital Status: Married, 1 child
Citizenship: Swiss and American
Swiss Military: Hptm aD, Adj Füs Bat 157
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Diploma Engineer ETH, 1965
University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA), 1969
1965 - 1969 NCR, Hawthorne, California, USA
Industrial Engineer, Senior Systems Engineer
- Specification and design of automated assembly equipment for a new line of computers.
- Development of Computer Simulation programs to study the feasibility of future automated production concepts.
- Financial analyses to justify procurement of high cost production machinery.
- Evaluation of future computer systems using mathematical and simulation modeling of hardware and software. Project leader for numerous system design efforts.
1970 - 1972 NCR, Dayton, Ohio, USA
Manager, Systems Architecture & Communications
- Design of hardware and software architecture for in-store online processing systems to be operated in discount and department store environments.
- Evaluation of software architecture and system performance for a telecommunication multiplexer. Effort resulted in a number of software recommendations which led to
a significantly improved product.
- Design and evaluation of complex online system proposals in close collaboration with domestic and international marketing departments.
- Design and evaluation of various software architectures (operating systems and ap-plication design) for NCR’s online banking systems. For over a decade NCR’s online
banking systems were based on the recommnedations of these studies.
- Determination of optimal hardware/software tradeoffs for a new minicomputer to be utilized for a variety of online applications.
- Design and development of advanced computer modeling and simulation tech- niques. Coordination of large simulation modeling and mathematical analysis efforts on a
company wide basis.
1972 - 1974 CIBA-GEIGY, Basle, Switzerland
Manager, Systems Integration and Support, Corporate Information Technology
- Development of system architecture for all corporate information and operations support systems.
- Development, implementation and maintenance of CIBA-GEIGY’s corporate data bases.
- Hardware/software requirements planning for all corporate information system develop-ments.
- Implementation and maintenance of a Project Analysis and Control System used for all Information Technology system development projects.
- Development and maintenance of Programming and Systems Development Standards.
1974 - 1976 Hoffmann-La Roche & Co., Basle, Switzerland
Economic and Financial Advisor, Corporate Finance
- Analysis of top management problems with economic and financial dimensions (large investments, acquisitions, joint ventures).
- Development of new analytical techniques for profitability and risk analyses of large corporate projects.
- Promotion of a company wide profitability and cost consciousness by development of an education program and delivery of lectures and workshops.
1977 - 1986 Ringier AG, Zofingen and Zurich, Switzerland
Director, Information Technology & Automation (Chief Information Officer)
- Overall responsibility for all information technology projects and operation of data processing systems including telecommunication and office automation systems.
- Management of the Information Technology Department consisting of more than 110 employees with a vast range of special skills.
- Development and execution of a new Information Technology Strategy based on a company wide process reengineering effort. Development and implementation of a new
Operations Support Systems environment covering the entire portfolio of corporate and divisional applications.
- Planning and execution of the Ringier Group’s entry into the electronic publishing business.
1986 - 1993 ATAG Ernst & Young Group, Zurich
CEO ATAG Informatik AG,
Partner ATAG Ernst & Young
- Chief Executive Officer of ATAG Informatik AG, a wholly owned but independently operating company of the ATAG Ernst & Young Group.
- Development and Execution of a new strategy concentrating on the information technology outsourcing business and on selected application areas, in particular SAP
Services, Data Base Services, Information Engineering Services and Executive Information Systems. Company grew through internal development and acquisitions from 150 to 350 employees, was always
profitable and became one of Switzerland’s leading Information Technology company.
- Concept development and subsequent company creation of TELEDATA AG, which today is the leading Online Services Provider of Swiss company and economic information.
- Entry into the Multimedia business by acquiring a substantial equity interest in Furrer & Partner AG, Switzerland’s leading Multimedia company.
1993 - 1995 Director Information Technology Services, Ernst & Young European Consulting Group, Paris
- Director of Ernst & Young’s European Information Technology Services based in Paris, France. Ernst & Young executed Information Technology projects inmore
than 15 European countries and achieved a turnover of more than US$ 230 Mio with some 1500 consultants.
- Development of a panEuropean SAP Consulting Group serving primarily the needs of multinationally operating enterprises.
1994 to 2001 SwissOnline AG, Kloten and Dübendorf
Chairman of the Board
- Creation and incorporation of the leading Swiss Internet and Online Services company by takeover of Swisscom’s Videotex Service. This activity involved the overall
responsibility for the SwissOnline business and in particular the development and monitoring of SwissOnline’s Electronic Commerce Strategy. By the end of 1999, SwissOnline had over 150'000
subscribers and a market share of approx. 30%.
1996 to 1999 Unisource NV, Zurich
Vice President Information Technology
- Development of Information Technology Directives for the Unisource Operating Companies including a pragmatic information security policy.
- Chairman of the Unisource Information Technology Council, the Unisource Information Technology body which decides on all Unisource policy issues and joint projects;
member of the Information Technology Board of the Unisource share-holders.
- Initiation and Management of the Unisource Intercompany Messaging Project.Development of guidelines and recommendations for managing Internet and Intranet
developments within Unisource.
- Development of asset control and charge back procedures for the Unisource telecommunication networks.
- As a special assignment: Responsibility for the Unisource tender offer for secondoperator in Hungary. This task entailed the management of the tender offer project
team including election and control of external consultants, formulation of a convincing second operator services strategy and production of the tender documentation. Unisource won the tender.
- As a special assignment: Program Director for SPT TELECOM’s OperationsSupport Systems Program. This activity involved the development of a comprehensive proposal to
develop a new operations support systems environment enabling SPT TELECOM to become an operationally excellent operator by the end of the year 2000. Proposal development involved a project team
of up to 60 people including external consultants. SPT TELECOM accepted the recommended processes and support systems.
- From March through December 1999: Vice President, Information Technology and Bil-ling Operations, AT&T-Unisource Communications Services. Member of the Executive
Management Team. Overall responsibility for the IT and Billing Department (250 Professionals) including all IT systems developments and operations.
2000 to 2002 Cablecom Management GmbH, Zurich
Special Advisor to Cablecom Group Management
- Acquisition of Mediatex AG (Swisstalk) and Swissguide AG as part of the execution of the Cablecom and SwissOnline Internet content strategy.
- Conceptual devel-opment and overall program management of Cablecom’s entry into the Electronic Yellow Pages market.
2002 to 2003 Pixelpark (Schweiz) AG, Basel, Zurich and Biel
- Restructuring of the Internet Services company as decided by the Board of Directors within a fixed time frame from January 2002 through March 2003.
2002 to 2011 Swissguide AG, Zurich and Kloten
Chairman and CEO
- Management Buyout of the Swissguide business from the Cablecom Group. Founda-tion of a new company that runs an Internet Business Enabling platform offering
en-hanced “Yellow Page Services” for the Swiss market place.
Past and present Board Memberships
- 1990 to 2001 TELEDATA AG, Vice Chairman, Founder
- 1994 to 2001 SwissOnline AG, Chairman
- 1991 to 2003 Pixelpark (Schweiz) AG, Member; former Furrer & Partner AG
- 1995 to 2001 TELEDATA Beteiligungs AG, Vice Chairman
- 1995 to present Jürg Dangel Telematik, Einzelfirma
- 1997 to 2001 KISSdirect AG, Member
- 2001 to 2007 BNS Group, Chairman, since 2004 regular Board member
- 2001 to 2007 BNS Operations AG, Chairman, since 2004 regular Board member
- 2002 to 2012 Swissguide AG, Chairman and CEO, since 2011 Member of the Board
- 2003 to 2006 Crealogix E-Banking Solutions AG, Member
- 2004 to 2009 Dangel & Co. AG, Member
- ACM, Association of Computing Machinery Member since 1968
- ASUT Swiss Telecommunication Association), Board Member 1985 - 1996, President 1994 - 1996
- SIMSA Swiss Internet Industry Association, Founder, Honorary Member
- Swiss Videotex Industry Association, Founder, President 1979 - 1988
- ETH Alumni Engineering & Mgmt (former VSBI) Member
Numerous contributions in predominantly Swiss but also foreign newspapers and special interest publications. Among the topics are:
- Investment Analysis under Uncertainty,
- Position of Videographics in the Media Arena,
- Information and Knowledge,
- Government and Telecommunication Policy,
- Information and Information Technology,
- Information Technology Strategy,
- Private and Public Telecommunication Networks,
- Databases for the Swiss Economy,
- Telecommunication and Competitiveness,
- Trends in Information Technology,
- From Information Technology to Telematics,
- New Telcommunication Law: More Competition,
- Information Technology Outsourcing: Risks and Opportunities,
- Business Process Reengineering,
- Business Process Innovation,
- Telecommunications: Risks and Opportunities for Switzerland,
- A Swiss Model for Interactive Publishing,
- Internet and Print Media,
- Internet and Electronic Commerce,
- Usage Measurement of Web Sites,
- Electronic Yellow Pages: Enabler of E-Commerce,
- Internet Usage Measurement,
- Search Engine Issues,
- Online Marketing for SMEs.